The late Bill Walsh took the worst organization in professional football, the San Francisco 49ers and transformed them into the best organization in football.
In his excellent book, “The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership,” Walsh writes the following:
1. Exhibit a ferocious and intelligently applied work ethic directed at continual improvement.
2. Demonstrate respect for each person in the organization and the work he or she does.
3. Be deeply committed to learning and teaching.
4. Be fair.
5. Demonstrate character.
6. Prize loyalty.
7. Honor the direct correlation between details and improvement.
8. Show self-control under pressure.
9. Put the team’s welfare and priorities ahead of my own.
10. Promote open and honest communication throughout the entire organization.
Leaders, this is super-solid advise.
However, as a Christ-follower, these are empty words with no power unless we allow Jesus to give us the power to implement these leadership principles in our organization.
Marinate on that,